Steel or ceramic grinding stones?
With manual coffee grinders, what the grinding stones are made of is not as important as most people believe. Ceramic grinding stones in particular have the advantage of better heat dissipation, but unless you're grinding 5kg of coffee in your hand, it basically doesn't matter. Furthermore, ceramic coffee grinder stones should last a little longer sharp compared to steel ones.
Hand grinder or electric grinder?
A manual coffee grinder has the advantage of a more affordable price, a much longer lifespan, and a certain mental ritual when making coffee. So one takes 5min to prepare, clears one's head, sharpens one's senses and then enjoys the coffee. Quality electric grinders can be found in the thousands of crowns. That's why we recommend hand coffee grinders for home coffee preparation!
Why use coffee grinders at home
The fresher the ground coffee, the less it loses its taste. And that's why more and more people are relying on home grinders.
If you are just starting to grind your own coffee, it can be difficult to find your way between the grinders. So what are the differences?
Two basic types of grinders
Coffee grinders can be divided into two large groups depending on how they are powered.
- Hand coffee grinders - these grinders tend to be smaller and cheaper, suitable not only for travel, but even for quality grinding at home in cases where we do not want to invest a few times in electric grinders.
- Electric coffee grinders - modern electric grinders. They tend to be much bigger and more expensive. Suitable for comfortable grinding of large quantities of grains. In addition to the grinding itself, they can be equipped with many other functions, such as a timer or the weight of the amount of ground coffee.
Grinding mechanisms also differ
In addition to the drive, the grinders also differ in their grinding mechanisms. Again, two are used, and both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Fragmented knife grinder - This type of grinder is usually cheaper, and as the name suggests, it cuts coffee beans into very small and asymmetrical pieces with knives. We do NOT RECOMMEND this grinder and therefore do not sell it. It is suitable only for spices.
The result is that different sized pieces are extracted differently, so the small ones are over-extracted and release into the drink many bitter flavors that we do not want there and the large ones are little extracted, the coffee is water.
- Grinder with grinding stones - A grinder equipped with real grinding stones, made of 99% steel. This type of grinder allows you to adjust the grinding roughness for each preparation separately. The big advantage is the precise crushing of the beans, which results in the release of the ideal amount of coffee oils.
Setting the grinding roughness is a task in itself, so we have prepared this guide for you to adjust the coarseness of the coffee .
Why buy grinders from us?
- We can deliver the coffee or spice grinder in stock the next day after ordering!
- Stone shops in Prague and collection points throughout the Czech Republic.
- We have a wide range of coffee and tea products, as well as quality coffee.
- Need advice? Our customer support is here for you.